Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What's Old is New

New year, new look, new vibe, new direction, new approach.

It's what I'm going for. Not only for myself, but for my blog.

I have taken a couple weeks off from posting - a much needed blog holiday, that just so happened to mesh with my much needed break from school - and have decided that I need to change this blog up a bit.

My blog revolved around fashion. What people are doing in the industry, what are the latest trends, and things that I thought were hip. All of this is great, and these things are still interesting to me, but instead of "reporting" about fashion, I want my posts to be more about my everyday life. I want to post about other things I like, even if they are not all about fashion.

I think it will give people a much more authentic vibe of how my personal style plays into my everyday life.

Over my break I had the time to get together with some old friends, many of which I haven't seen in awhile. I know any Creative Communication students can relate to that (not seeing any of your friends, besides the ones you see in school everyday). And I was also fortunate enough to spend part of my holiday, and Christmas, in California.
















These pictures were taken in Old Town La Quinta. My family and I often go to Old Town Coffee Company for breakfast, everything is so delicious... and takes better in California!


Every Thursday night, Downtown Palm Springs has a street market. You can find unique artwork, clothing, accessories, food, olive oil & all kinds of vinegar, and many kinds of pets. Some one even had their pet pig with them.. I always wanted a pet pig.

I also found the coolest feather headbands and earrings. I LOVE feathers, so when I was faced with the challenge of picking just one, I left with three!

And who doesn't love a stick of deep fried dough covered in sugar? Anytime I see a churro stand I have to have one, they are one of my guilty pleasures.
"Churro's are as popular here, as Starbucks." - Kirstyn Gray 
   

There was some really cool artwork at the market, but there was one artist that totally blew me away. Kurtis Rykovich is his name. He calls his pieces souls, and the illistrations are mainly of doll like girls. I find them to be mystical, and whimsical. The frames he uses on the paintings and sketches are all unique, some of them look very vintage. He also paints on clothing, bags, and pillows. 



My cousins and aunt joined my family and I the first part of our holiday, and I can tell you that it was a total blast. They left before Christmas but since my parents decided to not put up a Christmas tree back home, they helped us decorate one in our Cali home.

We did A LOT of shopping, and even scoped out a vintage store that I have been following online. The Fine Art of Design had some really unique vintage designer items, many of which were still out of my price range. But it was still fun to check out.



Our good family friends joined us on Christmas day, arriving just in time for morning cheese biscuits and mimosas! Every trip that we go on with Kirstyn and Mandi is always very entertaining since we are all so similar. But I'm sure we probably get a tad bit annoying to our parents. 

We went out to happy hour quite a bit - that's the thing to do in Palm Desert.






 



                    


During the break another one of my good friends Heather Longstaffe was visiting from Nashville. She's a singer/songwritter, originally from Winnipeg, and was able to make it to the radio show I co-host, That Pop Culture Show on 92.9 KICK-FM.

Regular hosts Allie and Bryan couldn't make it to the special show, but new co-host Sydnie was in the studio for her first show with main interviewer Josh and I, on That Pop Culture Show.              

Heather, Josh, Myself, & Sydnie in studio

I also have some great pictures of friends, afternoon skates, birthday parties, my attempts at making sushi cones, New Year's Eve, and some books I picked up over the holiday's!






 


          


5 comments: