Tuesday, September 27, 2011

FASHION Capital of the World & HOME to The New York Times

New York, New York, also known as the fashion capital of the world, is furthermore home to American daily newspaper, The New York Times (TNYT). 
With a focus on one of the many wonderful things that happen in New York City, this blog post will steer away from my typical focus on the topic of fashion, and on to the New York media scene.


For my journalism class last Friday we attended the Cinematheque showing of Page One: A Year Inside The New York Times, directed by Andrew Rossi. Page One is a documentary about the daily occurrences in TNYT news room, what it takes to create the stories for their audience, and the obstacles the print industry is facing with the advancement of technology. 

After watching the movie trailer in class the day before we went to watch the movie, I was immediately excited and intrigued by the little preview of the film. To me, the documentary appeared to offer unique insights from select TNYT editors and reporters on what it really is like to work for one of America’s largest daily newspapers. 
Luckily, it was more than I ever expected. The New York Times definitely has some creative characters on their hands. David Carr, Media Desk Reporter, was quite the interesting guy. 

“We are The New York Times and we are dictating terms. At the tender age of 31, I still had a year left to be the violent drug snorting thug. Before I found my way to this guy. The one with the family, and a job at the New York Times.” - David Carr
David joined The New York Times in 2002, and is very entertaining and fearless when digging for the information for his next story. He is the kind of journalist who does whatever it takes to write a great story, which is an admirable characteristic. 
“I've seen him at his desk and he just embodies everything about new media. I still can't get over the felling that Brian Stelter was a robot assembled to destroy me.“ Carr comments on Brian Stelter’s presence in the social media world. 

Social media outlets such as twitter, along with other mediums like WikiLeaks and tablet computers, are overtaking ‘old school’ methods of media, and are huge players in the bankruptcy of print newspapers. We all are using the internet on a daily basis - I myself would be lost without my continuous data on my iPhone - and know how easy and convenient it is to look up the latest occurrences. 
I really enjoy documentaries of all types, and thought Page One: A Year Inside The New York Times, was a great one. The film was fascinating, so I regret to inform you that I unfortunately dozed off during one part or another. I guess that just means I will have to watch it again, and I am definitely not apposed to that. 
From a CreComm student’s point of view it is definitely inspiring to see the hard work and dedication that these reporters and editors put in at The New York Times to deliver the latest news to the world. 
For those of you interested in the journalism world - or not - I would without a doubt suggest this film if you’re looking for exposure into the inner workings of the media industry. 

Check out the trailer for Page One: A Year Inside The New York Times

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the movie too. Makes me want to head to NYC :)
    LOVE the new look of your blog. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. School field trip?!....
    Thanks Alana, I am really growing to like it too!

    ReplyDelete